Administering an Estate can be a complex and stressful process at what is often a very emotional time. We can help with the burden of dealing with the Estate by advising you on, preparing the application and inheritance tax return, and ultimately obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf.
Fixed fee of £780 (including VAT but excluding disbursements)
This fee is made up of:
- Legal fees £650
- VAT on legal fees £130
- Up to a 1 hour consultation with a solicitor or Legal Executive at our offices
- Where there is no will acting on behalf of a surviving spouse or civil partner or adult children to obtain the Grant of Probate
- Where there is a Will acting on behalf of the appointed Executors
- Completion of short form Inheritance Tax Return IHT 205
- Drafting the Oath to obtain the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration
- Meeting at our offices with a Solicitor or Legal Executive to advise you on the Inheritance Tax Return and the Oath and to obtaining your signature thereto
- Obtaining the Grant of Probate of Grant of Letters of Administration and court sealed copies
The fee does not include:
- Where there is no Will and no surviving spouse of adult children
- Identifying beneficiaries of an intestate Estate
- Obtaining valuations of the assets and liabilities in the Estate.
- Arranging payment of funeral costs
- Dealing with any property related issues such as insurance and utilities
- Collecting in of assets and payment of outstanding liabilities of the Estate
- Finalising any income tax /capital gains tax a payable by the estate with HMRC
- Preparation of Final Estate Accounts
- Distribution of the Estate to the beneficiaries
- Where a long form Inheritance Tax Return IHT400 is necessary
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the Estate
- Potential disputes
- Variations to the Estate
- Dealing with the deceased’s business
If it becomes clear at our initial meeting that your matter requires additional work outside this service option then we will advise you of such at the initial meeting and provide you with details of the additional work required and confirmation of the additional charges.
* Fees are correct as of 4th December 2018
Disbursements which are the costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process and include the following:
- Probate application fee of £155 plus 50p for every court sealed copy of the Grant that we request
- Swearing of the Oath fees - £7 per Executor
- Bankruptcy only Land Charges Department searches - £2 per beneficiary
- Land Registry fees payable if we transfer a property in the estate to a named beneficiary. Such fees will be based upon whether the property is registered at the Land Registry and the value of the property. Further details will be provided at your initial meeting.
There may be other disbursements including fees for notices in the London Gazette and Local Newspapers that help protect against unexpected claims against the Estate or searches with Certainty to try ascertain whether a Will exists. If this is necessary we will advise you of such at your initial meeting and provide you with details of the costs.
How Long will my Matter Take?
Typically obtaining the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration takes 8-12 weeks.
Jane Mawer is Head of the Private Client Department. She has over 15 years experience within this area of law.
Faye Blair is a Solicitor with over eight years experience within the department.
Jamie Dobbs is a Legal Executive. She is an integral member of the department and has extensive knowledge of this area of law having worked within the department for over 11 years.